Sunday, October 23, 2011

Gettysburg Day 1

Been a while since I've posted. I went on a tear and finished the first day of my Gettysburg battle and the movie, "Gettysburg." I thought the movie was good. It focused on only a few aspects of the battle and I think it parts it was probably overdone and overacted, but overall a fine film. Having recently visited the historic site, I could tell a great deal of the movie was filmed 'on location.'

As for my game, wow -- the rebs rolled up the Union in a way I've rarely seen done in this game. The Union just wasn't getting the rolls and the Confederates could not be stopped. It's interesting that in my game, Ewell was in the same position he was in real life - with the choice to pursue the Union Army to Cemetery Hill or hold back. During the actual battle, Ewell held back, much to the chagrin of some of the other generals. I didn't and his troops pummeled the resistance.

At the end of Turn 7, the last move before the non-combat night move, the board looked like this:



The Confederates suffered NO losses. That's right, none. The Union, on the other hand, had many losses and gave up valuable ground. According to the rules, the Confederacy wins an automatic victory if they score twice as many VPs (Victory Points) as the Union. I stopped counting at 12 and even that was too much since the Union had 0.

What to do now? I'm kind of burned out on the game and the Confederacy did win, but I'm thinking I might replay the day 2/3 scenario to see what happens, or I might take day 2 and 3 and play them separately.

Either way, I think I'm going to update my Boardgame Geek lists for now. I am there under bambino64.

No comments:

Post a Comment