Sunday, August 12, 2012

July Gaming Recap

I've been playing a lot of games lately.  Which, given my income deficient status (my writing work has dried up and I've devoted most of my work time to finding a regular full-time job), is probably a good idea.  Yeah, it's been a slow summer, but gaming is a great hobby for those on a tight budget -- as long as you have the games (Al's collection) and enjoy the games you have (and don't forget your friends' game collections).  It helps that my sons enjoy playing some of the same games I enjoy.

My youngest (12) and I have been participating in a well-run Pathfinder campaign with three others.  It's been great and we've leveled up twice already -- he is playing a roque/fighter and I'm playing a fighter.  We've been playing for a few months now and play every-other-weekend. It's a fun time and I actually think it helps him with his Asperger's.

I've also hooked up with a Wednesday night gaming group. We played two games of Sword of Rome (I played the Gauls both times) and had a lot of fun.  We spent one night playing Mustangs, which I really enjoyed, and the group is now playing another air game, although out-of-town interviews and a back-to-school night have kept me away from those games. You can read my Mustangs AAR here.

Closer to home, my son and I have been playing Magic the Gathering. It's funny, but our decks couldn't be more black and white.  LOL.  That's an insider joke.  He has a black magic (swamp) deck and I have a white magic (plains) deck.  He whips out the evil creatures and I pacify them. I also love, love, love my griffins and griffin riders.  When I amass a few of those it's hard to stop me.


We also played a game of Axis and Allies and a few rounds of Stratego.  On July 4 (or thereabouts) my older son brought over Dominion.  I didn't think I would like it at first, but I really enjoyed it (he kicked out butts, though) and I like the idea of a game that changes every time you play it.

Coming up, I plan to replay the 1933 All-Star game using APBA Baseball game, and my Wednesday night group is beginning Clash of Monarchs on 8/22.
 
That's it for now.  Roll well, and live.

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment