Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mid Feburary Update, Part 1

Been a while since I've updated this blog and I have been playing quite a bit of games (for me at least).

First, I've not been able to start my 1944 APBA replay of the Cardinals, but hope to start soon.

Other than that, I've played several games during the past 30 days or so since my last update.

Martin Luther King Day

My group has a tradition of gaming on MLK Day. It started a few years back when we realized we were all off on that day, and with it being a holiday, our schedules were rather flexible. We've had some great game days over the years and usually have a pretty good turnout. Usually, we play one of those "if only we had the time" type of games (for example, Sword of Rome or Napoleonic Wars, or Twilight Imperium). This year we decided to do something different--two things actually. First, we decided on a "light" game--Formula De--and decided to play at the local game shop. It was fun.

Formula De
MLK Formula De Race Near End of First Lap
There were five of us there (AW, DMW, PS, TS and SE) and it was a good race. We raced Monte Carlo since it was the track we were most familiar with and only raced two laps. We've done three laps before but honestly, most of us get bored after two laps. The only plus side to three laps is the need to pit (for almost all of us) which really factors into the strategies employed. We never play with weather or tires (or should I say "tyres"?).

Well, two of us, AW (me) and PS got off to a good start, while DMW struggled. Toward the end of the first lap we were split into two groups: AW and PS out in front, TS, DMW and SE taking up the rear. And that was it for pretty much the rest of the way, although TS managed to close the gap a bit and finish in a solid 3rd.

Castle Panic
After that we grabbed Castle Panic off the shelf and played that. It's a fun coop game we've played before. Basically, players work together to fend off creatures and protect the castle. Sometimes it's an easy go, and at other times the creatures/monsters can overwhelm the castle. The game is always close, but this time we had a good handle on affairs throughout the game.

Victory is Ours!
The next posting I will update you on the life of my Bard (yes, I did say life--he is still alive), my first play of Star Trek Catan, and my first game of War of the Ring in many years.

Thanks for reading. Roll well and live!

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment